[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 2 11:43:41 UTC 2010

Hi Folk

My father-in-law has an old Linux box that I put together a few years ago, I think  the spec as below

AMD Duron 750 MHz
Gigabyte Motherboard
256 MB memory
CD-RW drive

Currently running an old SUSE distro, not sure of version but old enough that I know is no longer supported.

Any suggestions as to what I can do with it other than sending it to its fate at a South Staffs recycling container?

I could upgrade the motherboard ( its an ATX motherboard),  processor and/or graphics card ( I might have one of these spare I think its Nvidia or ATI not sure). But I was thinking along the lines of what can I do with it as it stands without incurring expense.

I could install, I suppose, a lightweight Linux distro like Puppy Linux or Mint.

Mo