[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 3 10:56:16 UTC 2010

> > How about a UPnP media server to serve music and video to PS3 or XBlock? Claire
> > Well, my first thought would be a Smoothie box... :-)  Possibly a file
> server? DM
>
> Both suggestions sound interesting. I will explore. I suppose it could also
> double up as a print server??
>
> Mo
>
>You could turn it into a router come torrent box come media server 24 7 thing, that is if you can justify the use (and niccard and storage considered). you >could use it as a test box, although the hardware is old, it means its well supported by the linux kernel. If you cant find a use for it your self freegle/cycle it, >so that someone else could, as I doubt there is little cash value as is, good luck and let us know your choice.

>The reason I ask to be informed is that I recently saw a 3 part series on bbc called Digital Dreams, that made me change my view on technology and it's >influence on the family members around the home...This spoke about the ever increasing amount of computers we have.

>Best regards,

>Roundyz

I totally agree, I don't like to waste things like that, if I can find a use for it I will keep it because it is in good condition all round. I think a print/file/media server is the likely use. This then raises the second question: Which is the best distro to use on it to act as a server given the spec I mentioned?

Mo