[Wolves] Suggestions for use of old Linux box

Roundyz roundyz at hotmail.ru
Sun Jan 3 11:20:36 UTC 2010

----- Original message -----

> > > How about a UPnP media server to serve music and video to PS3 or XBlock?
> > > Claire  Well, my first thought would be a Smoothie box... :-)  Possibly a
> > > file
> > server? DM
> >
> > Both suggestions sound interesting. I will explore. I suppose it could also
> > double up as a print server??
> >
> > Mo
> >
> > You could turn it into a router come torrent box come media server 24 7 thing,
> > that is if you can justify the use (and niccard and storage considered). you
> > >could use it as a test box, although the hardware is old, it means its well
> > supported by the linux kernel. If you cant find a use for it your self
> > freegle/cycle it, >so that someone else could, as I doubt there is little cash
> > value as is, good luck and let us know your choice.
>
> > The reason I ask to be informed is that I recently saw a 3 part series on bbc
> > called Digital Dreams, that made me change my view on technology and it's
> > >influence on the family members around the home...This spoke about the ever
> > increasing amount of computers we have.
>

> > Best regards,
>
> > Roundyz
>
> I totally agree, I don't like to waste things like that, if I can find a use for
> it I will keep it because it is in good condition all round. I think a
> print/file/media server is the likely use. This then raises the second question:
> Which is the best distro to use on it to act as a server given the spec I
> mentioned?
>

> Mo

Mo,
This depends on your ability to setup and configure linux, and the time you wish to spend doing so.

I myself would use something like arch or gentoo (you can do binary file installs through portage too), to get the most from it (I use gentoo) but recently I have been very impressed with fedora. Do remember that most of the server software is the same across distributions, just use good stable versions of the services you wish to use.

A little tip too that I have been practicing recently, is to include a copy of tinycorelinux (its all in one file) on your boot partition as a backup distro, this saves using a live disc or usb thumb drive to fix any issues that might prevent you booting beyond the loader.

good luck again.

regards,
Roundyz