[Wolves] Online Storage

Mo Awkati mawkati at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jan 9 15:10:39 UTC 2010

>Hi Mo :-)

>Couple of things.  Firstly the side issue of ISP's not deleting data.
>I am going to try an experiment in a month or two.  Years ago ( my
>account expired about 5 or 6 yrs previous) I had a Virgin account.  I
>haven't used them as an ISP for about 12 years now but I still had my
>log active.  I shall see if I can resurrect my old account and try to
>then get my old website up and running again.  I think I will be able
>to do it but the falling down bit is that it was dial up...  I may
>need to sort out my old modem to actually dial in to them.  Anyway, I
>reckon they will still have all my old website stuff in storage.

>Secondly the actual issue of online storage.  I use 'A Drive'
><http://www.adrive.com/>  to save none essential and critically none
>sensitive data.  Just stuff like lists of interesting websites or
>webpages that may go down over time.  I get 50gb of free storage.  It
>works for me.  Don't forget we could also use Google Mail as storage
>facility if it's set up as a network file system (I don't have the
>details of how but it is doable in Linux and other OS's).

>Anything sensitive is kept in removable data sticks that I only access
>when and if...

Hi Kevan

I expect the  readership I am aiming the article at will be saving important stuff, therefore my advice will be not to use online storage for important info. The stuff they will be saving could be disastrous to them if lost. But I take your point about non essential info. To me the only plus for online storage is accessibility from different locations. With the availability of cheap usb hard drives with humongous storage space, I don't see the point of putting your files online (and on the line!) when you don't have to work from different locations.

Cheers

Mo