[Wolves] Best way to remote manage a ubuntu system

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Jan 21 09:06:15 UTC 2010

Andy Jewell wrote:
> Hi Parminder,
>
> If you can't get Kris's suggestion to work,  you may still be able to get "Remote Desktop Viewer" working (VNC under the hood):
>
> You need the following:
>
> 1) Get their IP address. Often this is their router, and if so, you'd need to port forward 5800, 5900, 5500 and/or 5801, 5901, 5501 on the router to their internal address.
> 2) They need to enable "Allow other users to view your desktop" in System>Preferences>Remote Desktop. Make sure you set a password.
> 3) You then use "Remote Desktop Viewer" to login to their machine. Don't forget to disable "Allow other users to view your desktop" on your way out, for security reasons.
>
> I also believe that "Log Me In" can work with Linux machines, but have no experience with this.

Just a small point that everyone has missed. Unless your parents (Remote Host) has
what's know as a fixed IP you will need them to (Potentially) give you their IP on
each and every connection.

This is because most people have what's known as a dynamic address e.g. it changes
if they switch the router off unlike some of us show off's who have fixed IP's. :-)