[Wolves] Best way to remote manage a ubuntu system

Parminder Chauhan parminder at balpreet.com
Fri Jan 22 15:31:52 UTC 2010

> Message: 3
> Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:53:13 +0000
> From: Mark Croft <croftyboy at googlemail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Wolves] Best way to remote manage a ubuntu system
> To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>
>
> i did not know that about IP addresses , i thought i had a fix one
> with SKY router via bt etc etc
>
> just thought it was fixed cos my router on all the time, anyway never
> needed too know what my ip was before.
>
> I have tried playing with ubuntu remote desktop too get connection to
> my sister laptop it worked fine here at my house when tested but when
> at her house in exmouth on bt internet it just would not work for some
> reason. I did not have time over her birthday weekend when i was down
> too sort it out :( was having more problems with wireless internet and
> getting memory into her advent netbook thing.
>
> just went too website www.whatismyip.com/ to get ip address for it?
>
> anyway i am getting distracted from other stuff.
>

> mark
>

> 2010/1/21 Andy Jewell <Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk>:

Thanks everyone for their inputs. First of all sorry to answer late. I
know it is not nice "not to acknowledge the help" provided by helping
hand. I am late to answer as I was away from my computer for many days.

I definitely liked the Idea of remote desktop with Ubuntu. I'll play
around it and have a go.

Regarding IP address I have installed a small desklet on all ubuntu
machines which gives the current IP address of router. I can just ask on
phone what is coming up.

My only question may be how to locate the machine connected to router.
It will have different IP address with 192.168.*.*  Any way I'll play
first before ask further questions.

Thanks again everyone for  help. I'll also try through empathy as well
but remote desktop is straight forward.

--
Parminder Singh Chauhan

Phone : 07723036109