[Wolves] Spam ... my fail

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Wed Jul 7 06:51:34 UTC 2010

  On 07/07/10 00:23, Mike Hingley wrote:
> when I used what I assumed to be safe Kiosk windows PC at work to check my email

Obviously it's easy to point the finger at the "safe" Windows PC (which
browser, out of curiosity?)

In my experience these problems are usually XSS (cross-site scripting)
attacks, which as I understand them basically work like this: you log into
webmail, receive an email with a link to somewhere, which you click on to open
that website, which contains malicious code (usually because it has been
hacked). So you have an active login to your mail, and you're visiting a site
which downloads code to your browser (eg Javascript) which runs and makes
calls to the webmail application on the server (eg Hotmail) to force it to
send links to said webpage to all your friends. This relies on vulnerabilities
in either the browser or the website (both?) and is particularly hard to beat
because by definition it happens when you have an active connection open to
your email thus potentially bypassing the login. The same could happen if you
have an open login to your bank, for example, but this is much easier to
defeat in principle (you're unlikely to be following links to malicious code
from the bank, so the browser just needs to keep the sessions separate) but
does illustrate why logging out of any accounts (bank, email, etc) when you've
finished with them is important, rather than just closing the tab. Of-course
it is hard to log out of your email before clicking on a link within it, which
is what makes this particular problem so hard to defeat. My guess is that if
you were to copy the link and paste it into a new tab then it might get a new
session which might make XSS attacks harder, but I'm not an expert in these
things. The browser *should* create an independent session when you open a
link to a different site, but presumably not all browsers do, or if they do
they don't keep different sessions completely separate. My guess would be that
browsers like Chrome that run each tab as a separate process probably do
better in this regard.

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG