[Wolves] Increasing wireless coverage

Mark Rogers mark at quarella.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 11:36:13 UTC 2010

On 01/06/10 10:03, Adam Sweet wrote:
> hat I would like to know is what would be the best way of doing that.
> Signal booster? Omnidirectional antenna? Wireless repeater? Can anybody
> recommend which would be a better bet and suggest a piece of kit for the
> job? I have no experience of the best way of doing this or the kit involved.

Without question I'd suggest homeplugs: connect your router to a
homeplug wherever it is, then just connect a wireless homeplug in
whichever room is most convenient (and move it around as you need to).

OK, I'm biased (we sell them) but without any doubt they've generated
more "thanks, they're great" emails than "it doesn't work" emails, and
that is a good guide as far as I'm concerned! There are plenty of brands
around; the Solwise ones seem to be the best in our judgement (they're
the ones we resell) but Devolo and Negear, amongst others, give you some
choices. I'd recommend the 200Mbps wireless ones because they seem to be
better all-rounders, although any of them are going to exceed the
Internet speeds you're getting so won't be the weak point in the chain.

Oh, and the home-plug side of things is just plug-and-play - no
configuration required. You will need to set up the wireless side but
that's no different from any other wireless solution.

Registered in England (0456 0902) @ 13 Clarke Rd, Milton Keynes, MK1 1LG