[Wolves] Does your internet connection slow down during peak?

rogue lj rogue.lj at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 08:17:31 UTC 2010

On 9 June 2010 09:00, Andy Jewell <Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk> wrote:

> From: wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk]
> On Behalf Of rogue lj [rogue.lj at gmail.com]
>
> How about anyone else. Wan't to debunk BT, or to name and shame?
>
> Regards, Alex
> Hi all, am new to the list.
> I'm with virgin - the only time i notice any slowdown whatsoever is once
> i've hit their fair usage limit, which I believe is 7 gig at peak times.
> Other than that, its fine.
>

> Roger.
>
> _______________
> rogue.lj at gmail.com<mailto:rogue.lj at gmail.com>
> rogue.lj at googlewave.com<mailto:rogue.lj at googlewave.com>
> ________________________
> http://twitter.com/roguelj
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> Welcome to the list :-)
>
> It greatly depends on area, and I think you need to take customer care into
> account too.
>
> Alex - you hit a raw nerve here! I'm currently going through HELL with
> Virgin - congestion during peak times so bad I'd be better off with an
> old-style modem! It's totally unusable between 6pm and 11pm - Monday night,
> at the behest of the Virgin helpdesk, I ran some diags.
>
> 1. BT Broadband speed checker: 22kbps  - thats kilo BITS per second - on a
> linespeed of 8148 kbps. The check took 10 minutes to run.
> 2. Traceroute showed a 525ms delay on HOP 1.
> 3. Their tech support after 9pm is outsourced, and very low quality.
> Operators just reading from a list, don't understand anything beyond "reboot
> your router, sir" and "have you got the latest anti-virus updates?".
>
> My problem now, is that I've been told it's the exchange - by both Virgin
> and BT. GPRS is not an option here, and Satellite is way out of my budget.
> So I'm faced with the choice of taking the plunge with another supplier with
> the risk of the same hassle, or business broadband, with the additional
> costs: both my wife and I need broadband because we work from home a lot.
> It's no fun watching a Nagios screen load in 2 minutes! It's so slow that
> Google gives me the "low bandwidth" search page!
>

> Andy D'Arcy Jewell
> SysMicro Linux Support
>
> T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
> M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
> F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
> E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
> W: www.sysmicro.co.uk
>
> CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
> SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year
> 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in
> Enterprise Solutions.

Hi Andy,
No doubt about that - we've had some customer support nightmares with Virgin
- complete lack of service for 3 months because someone cut through the
cable in the road - and they kept (trying to) charge us for the service! It
got resolved in the end, but the people at the end of their customer support
line we're absolutely clueless. You'd have thought i'd have jumped ship from
that experience, but - touch wood - its been fine since.

--
rogue.lj at gmail.com
rogue.lj at googlewave.com