[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Simon Fielding s.fielding at wmcce.org
Fri May 14 10:34:13 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-05-14 at 10:56 +0100, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On 14/05/10 10:51, David Goodwin wrote:
>
> > Normally they work both ways - namely your server can either actively
> > ping/whatever the server to be monitored, or the server being monitored
> > can send statistics back ... at least Zabbix works like that.
> >
> >   From memory, isn't there NPRE (Nagion Plugins Remote Execution??) or
> > something which allows you to specify certain plugins which can be run
> > on the client - on demand, remotely by the server?
>
> Dunno I've manged to get my head round this (Sort of)
> http://docs.icinga.org/1.0.1/en/monitoring-windows.html which requires
> NSClient++
>
> I've not set up a Linux box yet :-/
>
> Maybe I'm trying to run before I can walk yet again?

Sorry to butt in - I've just done all this at work myself. Have you
looked at opennms? It's main advantage is that you can tell it to search
for services dynamically instead of manually configuring everything as
in Nagios/Icinga which is why I went with it rather than Nagios.

If you just want to poll kit, you don't really need to open your
firewall but if you want them to actively alert you via SNMP traps when
their services stop working, you will need to open your firewall to
allow the trap data in.

Regards,
Simon