[Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Andy Jewell Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Fri May 14 13:55:15 UTC 2010

From: wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk [wolves-bounces at mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Stephen Welch [bigfishinnet at googlemail.com]
Sent: 14 May 2010 14:09
To: Wolverhampton Linux User Group
Subject: Re: [Wolves] Icinga (Nagios)

Hi its Stephen - been lurking for a while and I used to post to SB
(for some reason my gmail address is blocked by SB lug so this may not
get through either to lazy busy to get it unblocked)  Anyways ....

On 14 May 2010 13:25, Andy Jewell <Andy.Jewell at sysmicro.co.uk> wrote:

<snip>

> On 14/05/10 12:40, Andy Jewell wrote:
>> Pete, Nagios/Icinga is still worth a look.

This sort of monitoring system is the next big step for me.  I keep
coming back to Nagios though.  Compared to the others it looks a bit
more tricky to set up and monitor equipment and services but think it
looks the best bet to remote monitor (distributed monitoring) clients
sites and services.  I have used Nagios in a school environment
without any fuss but I have bought a book to attempt the DM!

I have demo'd  Zennos as well but nagios seems the best long term bet.
 I would be interested to hear from others who have used Nagios or  x
for distributed monitoring?  One of the most important feature for me
is the reporting - how easy is it to get a decent customer focused
report off them so I can email through once a month, etc, etc.

Any shared experience on the report element would also be nice.

Did you get this?
Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Yes, check_mk does quite well with this - we have cron jobs that send out PDF reports with pretty graphs automatically to customers. I can provide you with a shell script to do this if you like (by my own hand).

If you want, I can probably wing you a sample report, off list.

Andy D'Arcy Jewell
SysMicro Linux Support

T:  +44 (0) 844 991 8804
M: +44 (0) 7961 605631
F:  +44 (0) 844 357 7020
E:  andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
W: www.sysmicro.co.uk

CRN THE CHANNEL AWARDS 2009 WINNER
SysMicro named CRN’s Editor’s Choice for Emerging Business of the Year 2009, recognising SysMicro for our considerable growth, specifically in Enterprise Solutions.