[Wolves] OT : need to find power supply for external hard drive.

Wayne Morris waynelists at machx.co.uk
Sat May 15 08:18:44 UTC 2010

  On 15/05/2010 06:17, Peter Cannon wrote:
> I take it the unit draws power from the USB cable seeing as you say it
> works on his, I'm wondering why you want a power cable if it works via
> USB? Using an external power source will not make the 'noise' go away.
> That's a bit like saying "The wheel on my car makes a right row but goes
> away if I turn the volume on my car stereo up".
You missed the point that it works *perfectly* plugged into one system,
but not into another where it clicks, ditto into
the usb port of some other gadget.
USB only supplies a small amount of power, USB1 less than USB 2, often
not enough to spin up a drive, hence the need
for an external psu.

It is clear from this that computer 1 is USB2, others USB1  - on USB2
the drive has enough juice to spin up and run,
not on USB1 - where it tries, fails and thus clicks.

 >Trust me I do this for a living :-)

And you don't know about power requirments for usb ;-)