[Wolves] OT : need to find power supply for external hard drive.

Kris Douglas krisdouglas at gmail.com
Sat May 15 18:41:08 UTC 2010

On 15 May 2010 18:45, stuart bell <sailing1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 May 2010 09:13, Wayne Morris <waynelists at machx.co.uk> wrote:
>>  On 15/05/2010 06:17, Peter Cannon wrote:
>>> I take it the unit draws power from the USB cable seeing as you say it
>>> works on his, I'm wondering why you want a power cable if it works via
>>> USB? Using an external power source will not make the 'noise' go away.
>>> That's a bit like saying "The wheel on my car makes a right row but goes
>>> away if I turn the volume on my car stereo up".
>> You missed the point that it works *perfectly* plugged into one system,
>> but not into another where it clicks, ditto into
>> the usb port of some other gadget.
>> USB only supplies a small amount of power, USB1 less than USB 2, often
>> not enough to spin up a drive, hence the need
>> for an external psu.
>>

> Wayne,
>
> If you suspect that your problem is power from the USB port, you could
> try the drive in a powered hub?
>

> Cheers

If the machine causing the problem is of an older generation, it may
be because it is USB1 and there is not enough power being provisioned
for the for the drive, that's why most older drives were sold with
those usb cables with 2 male connectors on the end, power on one port,
data on the other.

--
Kris Douglas,

  NODE Computer Systems
  Web Hosting & Design, Server Administration, Technical Support &
Computer Construction

  T. 01200438449
  M. 07728574285