[Wolves] Listing fuse mounted volumes on Ubuntu 9.04

Andy Smith andy at strugglers.net
Thu May 20 11:19:02 UTC 2010

Hi Andy,

On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 10:11:49AM +0100, Andy Jewell wrote:
> Further to our conversation about fuse last night, I've been googling round for an answer, but have drawn a blank so far...
>
> What I'm interested in, specifically, is finding out what is mounted and what filesystem it uses, like you get from _mount_ or _df_:
>
> example:
>
> andydj at yggdrasil:~$ mount

[...]

> gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/andydj/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,user=andydj)

[...]

> From this, you can see my home directory is mounted with fuse, but that's all you can tell - no idea what partition or filesystem. I *think* it's encrypted, but there's no way to tell from this.

Doesn't this just show that the .gvfs directory inside your home is
mounted using FUSE?

It's what Gnome's file manager uses to talk to remote hosts with
e.g. sftp or sshfs.

I don't think you can tell what is going on underneath because it
isn't actually mounted; the "type" of FUSE is "gvfs-fuse-daemon",
the daemon itself handles the different filesystem details inside
that.

If you directly mounted a remote directory using sshfs (which uses
FUSE), it would show in df and mount output. The difference here is
gvfs-fuse-daemon.

I think.

Cheers,
Andy