[Wolves] Help ? upgrade karmic - can't find the suppository ; -)

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Tue Dec 20 16:00:17 UTC 2011

On 19/12/2011 19:49, Kris Douglas wrote:
>> On Dec 19, 2011 5:37 PM, "Re-LoaD" <reload at brum2600.net
 >>
>>     Thanks Guy's so thats where I was up to. So I guess my question is
>>     how do I do a dist upgrade from an unsupported release ?
>>
>>     Thx Re-

 > I would just tar your home directory, stick it on a drive and do a fresh
 > install to be honest. Updates from supported>current aren't perfect.
 > Linus knows what could happen if you do it from an ancient installation.

I second this approach if you want to get up to the current release
11.10. The shortest upgrade path is to upgrade to 10.04, then 10.10,
11.04 and 11.10. That's a lot of time, bandwidth and potential issues to
fix when you get to the other end.

If you just wanted to get back onto a supported release you only need to
go as far as 10.04 which is an LTS and supported until April 2015, then
upgrade to the next LTS in April 2012. At that point, I think you can
tick a box somewhere in the Software Sources config tool which will
alert you for upgrades for every release and not just LTS releases.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/