[Wolves] VoIP phones and SIP providers

David Goodwin david at codepoets.co.uk
Thu Feb 3 15:19:31 UTC 2011

We [palepurple] use voiptalk.org.uk as a SIP (well IAX) provider. They allow up to 2 concurrent calls at once - if you 'breech' this they send you an email and suggest you upgrade your account etc etc. We rarely do.

We also use Gradwell - due to inheritance from a customer...

Both are equally fine - I think voiptalk has been more stable than Gradwell in the last year or two, but it's hard to tell... if the phone doesn't ring it doesn't mean the remote end is necessarily down!

Phone wise, we use Cisco 7960's.... I like them, but there are obviously loads of other phones out there that should work fine. The only annoyance with the Cisco's is that you need to upgrade their firmware/dick around to get them to support SIP as they (by default) only support some stupid Cisco protocol.

> I wouldn't be against the idea of using softphones if it weren't for the
> fact that you have to dial an extension to transfer a call and the
> person on the other end hears the tones, which sounds pretty rubbish.

I think that depends on who your provider is.... if you were using a soft phone to talk to your own asterisk box then there shouldn't be any of that....

thanks
David.