[Wolves] VoIP phones and SIP providers

John Kennedy skebi69 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 15:59:23 UTC 2011

On 02/03/2011 03:08 PM, Adam Sweet wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> As we have a few Asterisk users, I thought I'd take advantage of the
> knowledge we have here. I'm looking for some recommendations on SIP
> providers. I have used Sipgate in the past but for some reason I have it
> in my head that they only allow one concurrent call and the only
> geographic numbers they offer are ones in your dialling code area.
>
> The end game is that I'd like a to be able to point a couple of numbers
> at an Asterisk box over SIP, some non-geographic, some geographic but
> not necessarily 01902, with the potential to migrate the numbers to
> another provider if need be. Who would you recommend?

Since I have family in the US and here in the UK, I use Sipgate (which I
did not think limited you geographically in the UK) with a Linksys
PAP2T. I like the PAP2T's because I can use a standard (cordless) phone
anywhere in the house and I am not tied to a computer. I believe the
PAP2T will connect to an Asterisk server as well.
In the US I use Google Voice with Gizmo5 for my SIP. Gizmo is not
accepting new accounts at the moment though.

John

--
John Kennedy