[Wolves] Funny happenings with LTSP

Stephen Welch bigfishinnet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 21:30:40 UTC 2011

Hi

On 6 March 2011 18:29, Mark Ellse <me at chaseacademy.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> We have a lovely LTSP setup at Chase Academy, which Ron helped us set up
> some years ago. It serves us very well.
>
> The server in our IT room serves about 16 clients. The switch that is
> connected between the clients and the server is an old 100M switch, so I
> thought I would replace it with a switch which has at least one 1GB port for
> the server, to avoid there being a bottleneck there. (Our original server
> has now been upgraded incorporating an SSD, which does speed things up.)
>
> I bought some secondhand Netgear layer 2 managed switches. They simply don't
> work when an LTSP client is connected. But the non working is bizarre.

Can you reset the managed switch to default settings maybe they have a
setting from it's 1st hand?

I have had issues in the past whereby adding a new switch into a set
of existing switches (cisco in this case) did not result in the
desired network connectivity.  A reboot of the new switch and the
existing switches resolved it so maybe it is something to do with the
switch tables in either the 2nd hand switches or the existing switches
in the network if there are any?

Can you flash the firmware of the new 2nd hand switch?

Stephen