[Wolves] Funny happenings with LTSP

Mark Ellse me at chaseacademy.com
Mon Mar 7 15:16:39 UTC 2011

Alex,

1. Is the client connected to the switch directly by a patch cable, or
> is there a cable run involved?

No cable run. The connecting cables are, at the most, a couple of metres
long. I've used different cables for the interconnects and the problems are
there whatever cables I use.

> 1a, What rating of cable are you using (e.g. CAT 5/5e/6)?

Cat 5e

1b. Have you run a cable tester on the cables in question? What is the
> length of cable from the switch to the client? Does the testers show
> all 4 pairs connected correctly?

Will check this, but suspect it is not an issue since the cables work fine
with the dumb switch.

> 1c. Are you using any form of port doubler or phone/ethernet splitter?

No.

> 2. What is the specification of the ethernet port in the client?

Have tried two different clients, with different onboard NICs. Same problem
with both. Really do need to use the onboard NICs for the clients because
they have built in boot ROMs. But will try with a separate network card
because I have a couple with boot roms.

> 3. Is the managed switch configured to disable, enable or to negotiate
> jumbo frames?

I vaguely understand this, but don't know how to check on the switch
(Netgear FSM726). What I don't understand is why the system works if an
ordinary switch is connected between the client and the managed switch!

Cheers,

Mark