[Wolves] Python Training at Thyme software/Linux Emporium

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 11:07:32 UTC 2012

On 12/07/12 11:54, Peter Cannon wrote:
> On 12/07/12 11:43, Dave Morley wrote:
>>
>> So for the past 3 days I been on a python course and I thought it
>> a good opportunity to explain why and what I got from it.
>>
>> My past: Unlike many at Canonical I'm not from a technical
>> software, coding or office back ground.  I drove lorries (rigid
>> trucks the size of semis) for a living. I had a shoulder injury
>> that meant that I was unable to do that any more, while I was off
>> I worked at testing the iso images for the entire Ubuntu family.
>> Every QA manager got me a contract for the end of a release and
>> worked hard to get me a full time position with Canonical.
>>
>> The Present: Heno got in touch to let me know there was a QA
>> position I'd be ideal for within ISD at the time , now Commercial
>> Applications (online services) and I got it, woohoo.  Since then
>> I've worked hard breaking nearly every piece of software I touch
>> (only to make it better honest).  However it is getting more and
>> more imperative that there are good automated functional tests in
>> place for regression, not coming from a programming background I
>> read what I could on python and I've fudged together some basic
>> scripts that work as much as they need to, but was coming to the
>> end of my knowledge very quickly.
>
> You should post the two main paragraphs on a website or G+ it
> grieves me to say it as your head is big enough as it is but that's
> pretty inspirational tbh. You could do with reworking it a bit
> mind.
>
> I suggest you have the Hovis music playing in the background,
> brought a tear to my eye that did. :-)

Yeah it was originally for a canonical review that we do of courses,
training and conferences.  I then thought that there might be others
outside of canonical who maybe interested in knowing about it so
thought I'd post it here and to the main ubuntu-uk channel.  I was
lazt though so modded a couple of things and sent it out :)

- --
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)
http://www.ubuntu.com