[Wolves] Help me test my vegan recipes web-site, please

Andy D'Arcy Jewell andy.jewell at sysmicro.co.uk
Mon Jul 30 22:07:21 UTC 2012

Hi James,

Sorry it took me so long to reply - I read your email on my phone, so it
didn't get automatically get dumped in my Wolves-LUG folder, and I
forgot about it. Sorry.

On 21/07/12 12:56, James Turner wrote:
> The following recipes appear twice when searching or browsing:
>
> Avocado Salad
> Gravy
> Mushroom Soup
> Roasted Pepper Ciabatta
> Vegetable Pie
Duplicates deleted. Well noticed!

> Search results show a number in front of each (recipe ID?) - present
> for testing/development purposes? Numbers might imply duplicate
> records for the above recipes?
Yes, they are a relic from debugging. They will be removed soon.

> May need to consider the case of multiple recipes genuinely having the
> same name (e.g. different methods to produce variations of the same
> dish) - depending on moderation policy this may be more likely to
> occur if third-party contributions are allowed.
Currently, the new recipe form validation  logic *should* reject recipes
with the same name. Different versions will have to have different
names, prob describing the difference, eg "Wild mushroom soup" instead
of "Mushroom soup".  The other duplicates probably found their way in
during database import. There might have even been duplicates on the
static site.

> Date formatted as yyyy-mm-dd ... arguably it would be more "user
> friendly" in a different format, e.g. with year at the end and month
> written out in full.
Yes, this is pure laziness on my part. In order to format dates, I have
to really allow the user to select which format they would prefer, and I
haven't even properly thought about user prefs yet. Anyway, the Japanese
will be ok with this format!

> Spaces in URLs (as appearing in links etc)... Hmm.. Maybe replace with
> "+" or "_"?
Hmmm, yes, I know that's not RFC compliant, BUT modern browsers are able
to cope with this, and it looks much better. I'll probably change them
to _'s later on, but I'll need to write marshalling code to convert
between the two (or store the recipe names with them already in there).

> Should the "white sauce" recipe list "soya margarine" as an ingredient
> rather than just "margarine"?
What, theres *NON* vegan margarine? That's most certainly Michelle's
department... <dons teflon shoulder-pads>

> I'd expect an "Easter Bunny" recipe to be meaty, but suprisingly it
> isn't!
Yeh, rite. That's one of the "kids" recipes from the old site. Heh,
*that* one specifies vegan marge.

> Attempting to log in (@ around 12:54 today) reported "Internal Server
> Error" :(
Looks like my login failure error handling is borked then.

> Speed seems pretty good.
At least something works ok.

> Hope it goes well, wouldn't mind taking a look once it's recieved its
> styling/design makeover. :) Very impressive range of recipes!
:-D

I'm hoping to do a bit of work on the test site (on my home  Proxmox VE
host) this week, and hopefully fix some of these.

Regards,
-Andy DJ

--
Andy D'Arcy Jewell