[Wolves] GPS Data Logger

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Fri Jun 29 11:16:44 UTC 2012

On 29/06/12 11:36, Claire wrote:
> On 28/06/12 23:10, chris procter wrote:
>>

>>> Can anyone recommend a decent GPS Data Logger that I can use whilst
>>> cycling (mountable on handlebars) that is compatible with Linux and that
>>> will upload routes to Google Earth and/or Open Street Map?  Preferably
>>> one with a display (with backlight) and will record:
>>>
>>> Waypoints (at the press of a button)
>>> Time
>>> Speed
>>> Distance Travelled
>>> Altitude
>>>
>>> Other useful features (not essential):
>>>
>>> Calories burnt (after input of body&  load weight)
>>> Ability to preload routes
>>>
>>> Any suggestions based on experience of using one of these devices would
>>> be great.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>

>> I have one of thesehttp://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/NaviGPS (a GT11
>> to be precise)  which is chunky but did me good service when I was
>> open street mapping, and has a decent cycle (sold seperatly) mount
>> that'll keep it secure (in fact I struggle to detach the unit when I
>> actually want to!)
>>
>> Don't know about uploading routes to google maps but it does do time,
>> speed, altitude etc, and there was a script that would pull out the
>> data in a format suitable for openstreetmap which works happily on
>> linux (it appears as a ttyusb device rather then storage iirc). The
>> battery was good for far longer then I ever needed to worry about, and
>> reception was mostly decent, although sometimes it would take several
>> minutes to lock on. The osm page talks about sdcards having issues but
>> I never experienced that.
>>
>> It had a backlight you could turn off but without it the screen was
>> readable even in the sunshine as I was cycling along at 40km/hr
>> (downhill with a tail wind :) and shows time/speed/distance/altitude
>> I dont remember it doing calories or preloading routes though.
>>

>> The only issue is that they seem a lot more expensive then they used
>> to be, its a good bit of kit but this
>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/GPS-Genie-GT-31/dp/B0036PFFAQ is a lot more
>> then I paid!
>>
>> If you're looking for other options the OSM TalkGB list is probably a
>> good place to ask.
>>
>> chris
>>

> You can always try something like mapmyride.com they have an app for
> your phone that produces a trace. It gives an amazing amount of detail
> like elevation, climbs etc. It may be worth a look before shelling out
> on a dedicated unit.
>
> Claire

or you could be really hard-core and build your own with an Arduino and
a stack of readily available shields (Uno/Leonardo + GPSshield +
SDcardShield + Nokia LCD Shield).  You would probably have to write the
software yourself and it would cost more (but it would be fun to do).

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk