[Wolves] Newbie questions..

Ravinder Verma r.v3rma at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 11:38:11 UTC 2012

> > The Linux Documentation Project (http://tldp.org/) has lots of
> > material on how to use Linux. For general intro to the command
> > line:
> >
> > Bash Guide for Beginners
> > http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
> >
> > Index of potentially useful material:
> >
> > http://tldp.org/HOWTO/HOWTO-INDEX/os.html

Thanks James, some more reading to do whilst at work. :-)

> If anybody tells you to run a command that contains the 'rm' command,
> think carefully about what you're doing, especially if it starts with
> 'sudo'. rm deletes files. sudo enables global admin rights. Add them
> together and do it wrong, or run a malicious command somebody gave you
> and you will trash your system.

This is partially why I want to have an understanding (at the very least),
of what i'm doing in (on?) the command line.

> Somebody else asked this kind of question back in January, so here is
> my response:
>
> http://mailman.lug.org.uk/pipermail/wolves/2012-January/029377.html

This is where I got the floss manuals link from.

> I found the best way to learn the command line is to have a particular
> project in mind while doing it, ie build a mail server, build a web
> server etc. Some of the links in my post from January are almost
> literally full of how to build a mail/web/DNS/something else kind of
> server documents, so maybe start out that way.

I might have a go at setting up a file server with an old PC I have lying
around and see how things go.

is there a way to search the mailing list archives, or do you have to go
through each month in turn??

Anyway, thanks for the info and no doubt there will be some questions
shortly.. :-)