[Wolves] Newbie questions..

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Thu Mar 29 20:36:21 UTC 2012

On 29/03/2012 20:46, Ravinder Verma wrote:

> > Learning 'What' does 'what' is probably the quickest way,
>
> based on the above statement, what is worth knowing as a beginner? Or
> is that to vague a question??

How to turn the thing on and off probably.
Sit in a corner somewhere away from your machine and think what it is
you want to do. Do you just want to play some music? Send some emails?
Write a book? Do you want to set up your own server? Webserver? What
about a mail Server? Once you decided on that you can build up the
blocks of what you want to achieve and the skills of how to do it.
Everyone has heard of the saying "Learn to walk before you try to run"
the same can be said of Linux. Rather than trying to learn *Everything*
(Which you never will) get good at specifics.

If Linux has taught me one thing it's to get comfortable doing something
the easy way before you start trying to do it the hard way. What I mean
by that is you really should get comfortable with doing things via the
menus and icons, the graphical user interface GUI before diving into the
world of CLI and text editors. Most of us here still bare the scars of
having to do it the hard way from command line, these days there's no
need with the GUI and wizards.

I'm not even convinced that if you just want to use your Linux box as a
typical home PC there is anything to learn other than what application
does what. Most distributions automatically set up your Internet access,
there are hand holding wizards for networks and shares most people of
all ages can be using the Internet and email within half an hour or so
so there's no great mystery only the ones we create ourselves. Ade
Bradshaw (A former Wolves Lug member) did a post the other day on Google
Plus stating how he used about six or eight 'commands' on a regular
basis these was mostly simple things like sudo yum update which can me
achieved through the GUI updater anyway. Interestingly others started
posting their bash history (Bash shell = Terminal) and predominantly it
was around the eight mark for commands used over and over again this
tells us that on a regular daily basis not that many people use CLI and
when they do it's for something simple. Obviously if you are a coder
then it's a different kettle of fish but you're not so that's not important.

> Peter C, what is the difference between a service and an environment?

With the greatest respect if you don't know, forget about CLI till
you've learnt what the difference is. It's easy enough to find out
Google --> Search --> What is a Linux service
You'll feel more empowered having found out yourself rather than me or
another member just telling you. (It's a simple one otherwise I'd tell
you) :-)

> This list of questions just keeps getting bigger... :-)

That is because you are trying to run before you can walk.

I am now off to steal a small child's lollipop.