[Wolves] Trackballs

Peter Cannon dick_turpin at archlinux.us
Wed Nov 28 10:38:13 UTC 2012

On 28/11/12 10:22, Iain Cuthbertson wrote:

> Hey gang :)
>
> For many years I've been suffering from RSI while using the mouse.
> It's not all of the time, so usually I get to ignore it. But when it
> happens, it lasts for days.
>
> A friend said that she moved over to using a trackball for the very
> same reason and maybe I should give it a go.
>
> Question is, would I be better off with a fingers or thumb operated
> version?
>
> If any of you have experience of either, could you let me know what
> you think of them?
>
> And this is a long shot: is there anybody with a trackball going to
> The Moon Under Water tonight? If so, could you bring it along so that
> I can get a feel for it?

I use this at work http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Logitech-TrackMan-Marble-FX-User-Favorite-Trackball-Mouse-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJHJEEFBn-z1FzlBQczdjtK0Q~~60_35.JPG it cost me £50.00 when I bought it 200 years ago. I love it and hate it tbh.

Initially my model would make your wrist hurt until you're used to it, some days with overuse my fingers are a bit clicky. It's excellent for precision stuff (This is why most graphic designers use trackballs or pens.) it's crap for scrolling if you grab-n-drag the bar. Highlighting can be hit and miss sometimes.

On the whole I think I prefer it to a normal mouse though. Oh and it's utter crap for playing games with. :-)