[Wolves] Silly Centos 5, Apache 2.2 question

Simon Burke simonb at fatsportsman.eu
Tue Jul 23 10:11:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM, David Goodwin <david at codepoets.co.uk>wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2013, at 10:50, Simon Burke <simonb at fatsportsman.eu> wrote:
>
> > Ok,
> >
> > So for some reason I seem unable to disable directory browsing on our
> webserver.
> >
> > Which seems ridiculous, however simply setting -Indexes in the options
> of the httpd.conf and the vhost config files and then either running a
> reload or restart on apache.
> >
> > Can anyone point me in the right direction of what the smeg is going on?
>
> Hi,
>
> 1. Make sure apache is actually stopping before starting it - I've seen
> instances where it keeps running.
> 2. Make sure the running Apache is actually the one for which the config
> belongs - some devs do weird installs with /usr/local/apache (often plesk)
> and the system/proper Apache. netstat --tcp -lpn should give you an idea as
> to which Apache is running/talking to you.
> 3. I guess .htaccess files may be able to turn +Indexes on (I'm not sure
> off the top of my head).
>
> David.
>

> Ok so I have now run:

[root at blah conf]# /etc/init.d/httpd stop
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
[root at blah conf]# ps -ef |grep httpd
root      6991  6655  0 11:02 pts/2    00:00:00 grep httpd
[root at blah conf]# /etc/init.d/httpd start
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]

No change.

Using find there is only one httpd.conf on the system and AllowOverride is
set to 'None'.

i did try creating a .htaccess file with the -Indexes option just for the
sake of testing and it made no change.

Running the netstat command provides me with the PID and digging via cating
the /proc/<PID>/environ returns the correct dir for the conf I have been
editing: PWD=/etc/httpd/conf and catting /proc/<PID>/cmdline returns just
/usr/sbin/httpd  I'm sure there's a more reliable way to look than this
however

Thanks,
Simon.