[Wolves] Fwd: rescuing data from windows 8 acer machine with efi boot

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Mon Oct 14 13:49:02 UTC 2013

On 14/10/2013 11:49, Mark Croft wrote:

> friend here in exmouth his windows 8 acer x600 desktop machine has
> decided to nuke the hard drive somehow it booting up with No Operating
> System found probably lost its MBR correct?
>
> for now i am just trying to get the data (pics,etc) from his windows
> hard drive but linux will not see it when i boot a live cd (linux mint 15)
>
> I have switched off all the efi stuff in the bios found that info the
> web but can't seem to find out how to get it too see the hard drive in
> linux live mode ? tried ubuntu 13.04 and linux mint 15 , will try fedreo
> seems that the one people recommended with efi setup.

Sounds suspiciously like the hard drive is dead if nothing can read it.
Have you tried it in another laptop? If another laptop can't see it/read
from it either, regardless of OS, it's probably dead. Most manufacturers
provide tools that come as bootable USB or CD images. They contain tools
from the disk manufacturer that produce a code that you submit you send
to them and they'll arrange a replacement if it's under warranty. At
least that was the case last time I had a disk die during it's warranty
period.

Quite often people forget that laptops need to breathe. People put them
on sofas or duvets which block up the air vents. Laptop gets hot, starts
spontaneously shutting down, owner thinks it's the laptops fault and
doesn't change behaviour, hard disk eventually dies. I've seen that a
few times.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--