[Wolves] OpenVPN under Ubuntu on both its server & client

Adam Sweet adam at adamsweet.org
Wed Apr 16 16:30:35 UTC 2014

On 15/04/14 12:57, Chris Ellis wrote:
> Hi John
>
> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM, John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
> <mailto:john.aaron.rose at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     I'm using OpenVPN to setup a VPN server on a desktop with the client
>     on a laptop also using OpenVPN. Both machines are Ubuntu Precise
>     Desktop. All that I want to do is to access website securely using
>     OpenVPN when away from home by leaving the desktop switched on. I've
>     followed the Ubuntu Community Guide for OpenVPN on a Ubuntu Server
>     and everyting is OK except for a line on the client's
>     /var/log/syslog repeated many times: shown at end of this message.
>     Any ideas?
>
>     <snip>
>
>     However, the last line of the client's /var/log/syslog is repeated
>     many times and is:
>
>     Apr 15 11:54:53 JudithLaptop kernel: [136090.793598] [UFW BLOCK]
>     IN=wlan0 OUT= MAC= SRC=192.168.101.13 DST=239.0.0.250 LEN=49
>     TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=1 ID=41113 DF PROTO=UDP SPT=56556 DPT=32412
>     LEN=29
>
>     I don't understand why these ports (56556 & 32412) on the client are
>     used. Please explain.

That dpt is plex:

The rest of the stuff in your mail looked OK, is there anything else not
working with OpenVPN, or are you just confused about that log message?

It looks like the laptop firewall is blocking packets from your Plex
DLNA server coming into port 32412 over your wifi card to a multicast
address , but it won't be affecting OpenVPN.

Regards,

Adam Sweet

--

http://blog.adamsweet.org/