[Wolves] Fwd: Re: dlna streaming

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 18:30:42 UTC 2014

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: [Wolves] dlna streaming
Date: 	Fri, 25 Apr 2014 19:03:59 +0100
From: 	John Rose <john.aaron.rose at gmail.com>
To: 	Wolverhampton Linux User Group <wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk>

On 25/04/14 18:20, Adam Sweet wrote:
> On 25/04/2014 17:49, John Rose wrote:
>
>> Missing minidlna is Launchpad bug 1309651: a responder suggested using
>> Universal Media Server. I tried it out (downloading it from
>> www.universalmediaserver.com) & it looked suitable. It didn't find  a
>> renderer, presumably because my TV is not 'smart' enough. So I'll try it
>> with BubbleUPnP / MediaHouseUPnP.
>
> I don't know UMS but I might take a look myself. It's possible that I
> misunderstand with regard to UMS as I know nothing about it, but on
> every UPnP/DLNA set up I've used (not many!) your renderer (VLC or TV)
> should find the media server, rather than a media server finding the
> renderer. I suppose there's nothing stopping a media server looking
> for renderers, but I've not come across that before. Just making sure
> your understanding is the right way round.
>
> If the renderer isn't capable of finding a media server (Chromecast
> can't for example) you need to use something like Bubble or MediaHouse
> that finds both and sends the media from one to the other.
>
> Final thought, your TV does support DNLA, right?
>
> Regards,
>
> Adam Sweet

I have no idea if my TV supports dlna: I'm coming to the conclusion that
it doesn't since there's no mention of it in Sony's printed
documentation or internet support webpages. It makes me wonder what the
purpose of the ethernet socket & setting of ip address (when ethernet is
checked, the TV checks the connection & internet connection. Anyway,
I'll try Bubble & MediaHouse.

Just tried MediaHouse & Bubble: on neither was I able to figure out how to 'play from' UMS (media server) rather than say Bubble Media Server, let alone how to see the video on the TV.
Totally baffled!