[Wolves] gnome nanny

Simon Burke simonb at fatsportsman.eu
Sat Feb 1 17:46:23 UTC 2014

On 1 Feb 2014 14:47, "Barry W" <baza41 at gmail.com> wrote:

> A friend of mine is using a Debian laptop and wants to be able to limit
the times users can have access to the internet. (no net after 11pm til 9am)

> I know a bit more about Linux than them so they asked me to sort it. I
had a quick Google and Gnome Nanny seemed like the  ideal fix. Alas, I was
unable to find a .deb of this package and attempts to compile keep failing.

> So my question. Is there somewhere I can get the .deb?
> Is there any other way to time restrict access to the internet?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Barry.

I know this might not be the kind of answer you may want,  but would doing
something with cron at those times not be the easiest option?

For instance schedule a script to run at 11pm that takes the default
gateway out and schedule another to put it back in when you want to enable
net access again.  Maybe running ever so often to check its still gone to
persist Reboots.

I'm assuming that the user's do not have root access as installing a
package could easily be circumvented of they had anyway.

Thanks,
Simon

Ps,
Excuse my brevity as I am typing this on my phone.