[Wolves] Dual boot failing - Windows 8.1 and Ubuntu

Dave Morley davmor2 at davmor2.co.uk
Tue Jan 7 14:06:50 UTC 2014

On 07/01/14 13:50, Nick Hall wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> And its me again. Last night I decided to install Ubuntu (13.10). I
> bought a Linux Ubuntu magazine and followed the instructions religously.
>
> My laptop is an Acer N56V and already had on it Windows 8.1. So I
> defragged the hard drive, then shrank the disc to half its size and
> allocated 350GB for Linux.
>
> I booted up, and followed the Ubuntu instructions closely, making sure I
> created a volumne (sda3) for Linux and a swap volume. Then rebooted and
> the laptop goes straight into Windows 8.1.
>
> I checked the information on GRUB (?) and then followed some
> instructions to reload GRUB into the live Linux version (I was using a
> boot up disc). I did exactly what it said and still the same problem.
> Books straight into Windows 8.1.  I have NO idea whats wrong.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers
> nick

Nick

Due to the fact this machine has windows 8.1 on it. I am assuming
therefore that it is a uefi machine what happens if you pause the boot
go into the menu and select the Ubuntu disk?  Also did you do a 64bit
install in the fress space a lot of the time the magazine cd's come with
32 and 64bit if you did a 32bit install then the uefi will be ignored
and it won't boot but just display an error.

--
You make it, I'll break it!

I love my job :)
http://www.ubuntu.com