[Wolves] I'm having a few difficulties setting up an Apache virtual host

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Fri Jan 10 02:36:26 UTC 2014

On 10/01/14 02:22, Peter Oliver wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014, Mike Hingley wrote:
>
>> I'm running Ubuntu 13.10 - which ships with Apache 2.4.6.
>> I've set up a virtual named host - localtuxsters.com - but it seems that
>> apache is ignoring the host header and directing all traffic to the
>> default
>> host -
>
> A few ideas:
>
> Did you remember to switch on name-based virtual hosting with the
> NameVirtualHost directive?  Is the virtual host configured for the
> correct IP address/port?  Does it say anything interesting in the logs
> (set LogLevel debug for verbose output)?  Are you sure you're editing
> the right config file, and that httpd has restarted since you made the
> change?

I haven't got round to playing with the Saucy Salamander (13.10) yet,
however on the assumption that it's configuration is organised previous
versions, the following lines should be present near the end of file
/etc/apache2/apache2.conf:

# Include ports listing
Include ports.conf

File /etc/apache2/ports.conf should contain the following lines:

NameVirtualHost *:80
Listen 80

These lines should be present by default, however if things aren't
working for you then it may be worth opening these files to double check
that they're there.

J.