[Wolves] Fwd: Ubuntu 14.04 Nvidia upgrade woes

Andy Wootton andy.wootton at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 23:45:41 UTC 2014

On 09/07/14 20:57, Paul Salahuddin Armstrong wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> This is an annoying development I've noticed too, in my case with
> openSUSE. I managed to get the proprietary nVIDIA drivers to work, but
> not without some fiddling, alternative repository, and bugs with a few
> applications like XBMC.
>
> I think this has a lot to do with Linux developers trying to push
> opensource drivers. I have no issue with that, but would appreciate
> them leaving us the option to use proprietary drivers without
> unnecessary hurdles. Perhaps when the opensource drivers are as good,
> we won't need them, but at present, though improving they still have
> some way to go.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Yes, I think it's pretty unforgivable to replace a working driver with a
non-working one without permission or even a warning. I understand the
Free Software wish to be independent of the hardware manufacturer but
I'd rather have a binary driver that works than an open driver that
doesn't, because we've alienated the hardware manufacturer and they've
given up supporting the Linux market.

I don't like that in phone and tablet drivers, we're becoming totally
dependent on Google's cosy relationship with the hardware vendors for
drivers for Google's version of the Linux kernel.

Regards,
Woo