[Wolves] Roku & Zotac

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Mon May 12 10:45:49 UTC 2014

Kevan,

Thanks for the info. I don't want to use Plex or other web-based app as
I don't want to give access to my PCs to any external organisation and
because I don't want to buy a device which is accessible externally.
Also, I'm quite happy to use our laptop to stream to a box connected to
my TV). I decided to take a risk and buy a cheap Zotac Stream Box. I
hope that it works with Universal Media Server (my preference) /
minidlna (Canonical say that they have committed a fix to put minidlna
back into Trusty's repos) and my Sony non-smart TV. I'll let you know
how I get on.

PS I'm now having to use my wife's Ubuntu Precise desktop to convert
downloaded iPlayer flv files to mp4 (H264 & AAC) - as my TV will not
play flv files held on a usb stick though it plays mp4 files OK - since
neither Avidemux, Handbrake or Transmageddon on Ubuntu Trusty (which I
have on my desktop & our laptop) do this function without crashing or
creating a 'corrupted' mp4 file! I've just registered 3 bugs on
Launchpad re these bugs. Hopefully, they will fix these problems before
Trusty's first point release (AFAIK in July), which is when I'd like to
upgrade my wife's desktop to Trusty

Regards,
John