[Wolves] Roku 2 XS & minidlna & Universal Media Server

John Rose john.aaron.rose at gmail.com
Mon May 19 19:29:52 UTC 2014

I cancelled my order on a Zotac Media Streamer box as ebuyer.com had
mis-stated the price & it was double the advertised price. So I bought a
Roku 2 XS at a cheap price. I connected it to the Composite Video on the
TV, invoked the Composite Video on the TV & it started the Roku setup.
That went OK & I added the Roku Media Channel to My Private Channels &
selected it.

I'd already installed minidlna OK & setup its .conf file (as recommended
in Ubuntu's Community help page) pointing to my Videos folder (on my
laptop):
#network_interface=eth0
media_dir=A,/home/john/Music
media_dir=P,/home/john/Pictures
media_dir=V,/home/john/Videos
friendly_name=JohnDesktop
db_dir=/var/cache/minidlna
log_dir=/var/log
inotify=yes
I started the minidlna service OK. However, nothing happens on the TV
screen. Any ideas what to do?

I've also installed Universal Media Server on my laptop. It starts OK &
says Connected but it says that the renderer is unknown even though it
picked up my created Roku2XS.conf file (message is: Media renderer was
not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent:
Roku/DVP-5.4 (025.04E03358A)! It allows me to view files on my laptop,
but it hangs on retrieving a .mp4 video file (.mp4 - H264 & AAC - OK
according to the TV's documentation) - which plays OK on my laptop - &
which the TV is able to play from a usb stick inserted into the TV.
Contents of .conf file:
#----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Profile for Roku 2 XS stream media player.
#

RendererName=Roku 2 XS
RendererIcon=realtek.png
UserAgentSearch=Roku/DVP-5.4 (025.04E03358A)
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
DLNALocalizationRequired = false
MediaInfo=true
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=mp4
ChunkedTransfer=false

Explanations of the parameters are shown in the file downloaded from
this link:
https://app.box.com/s/g0wd84um7hmupk7ihu5t

A full debug log is available in the file downloaded from this link:
https://app.box.com/s/qzs9dfk8lvim8c2efdw6

Has anybody else used UMS with a Roku box? Unfortunately, I'm not able
to login to UMS's forum (in order to ask about Roku boxes) even though I
registered. I sent an email to the Contact us / Administrator but it was
bounced as unknown email id! Can somebody else try to register & login
to the forum, just in case I blundered on the registration?

PS I can email a UMS .conf file for the PS3 if anybody wants to
investigate the above file.

--
Regards,
John