[Wolves] New member - narchive.com

Chris Ellis chris at intrbiz.com
Mon Sep 1 00:05:53 UTC 2014

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Ron Wellsted <ron at wellsted.org.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have had a person/organisation subscribe to all the mailing LUG
> mailing lists in the past couple of days.  We were subscribed to this
> morning.  This has resulted in a flurry of activity on the lugmaster
> list as this is being view with some suspicion as the given email
> address is xzxo at ml-in.narkive.net.  I have placed him in quarantine
> (nomail/mod) until I get some feedback from you, our members.
>
> This would not have popped up on the radar if he had used an address
> like wolveslug at ml-in.narckive.net.  What looks like a random string of
> chars always looks suspicious.
>
> Apparently, narchive (a usenet archive) is looking into expanding into a
> mailing list archive.
>
> As our list archives are publicly accessible so not sure why this is
> needed.
>
> Thoughts/comments please, unless I get some feedback, I will follow the
> other LUGmasters.
>
> --
> Ron Wellsted

My thoughts on this would be to reject this account.  Mainly as the
archives are already online.  Narkive doesn't seem to offer much and their
intentions
are unknown.  At minimum their registration should not be able to post.

IMHO if Narkive wants to archive the mailing list, then I would have
expected a less
suspicious email address and a welcome email / and email to the lugmaster
detailing
what there plans are.

Either way just my 2 pence worth, as they say.

Regards,
Chris Ellis