[Wolves] LPI Certficiation

Ron Wellsted ron at wellsted.org.uk
Tue May 19 07:34:46 UTC 2015

On 18/05/15 15:15, Simon Burke wrote:
> Afternoon everyone,
>
> To not only try to stimulate some conversation, but because work wants
> me to look into it.
>
> What are peoples opinions on the LPI Certifications?
>
> My understanding is that they are at the same level as the Comptia stuff
> (i.e. you know how to turn stuff on and do the essential bits), and that
> it's not really worth it. The other popular opinion I've came across is
> to "just get a RHCE instead".  The latter of which is a little cost
> prohibitive, especially if you are self funding yourself through the
> courses, exams etc.
> Looking at the content, I don’t think there is much in the Level 1
> course that isn’t going to be know by someone who's used Linux for a
> period of time.
>
> Plus I've never seen anywhere that has this as a requirement or even
> acknowledge it's existence. So how it's seen in the real world is
> another question itself.
>
> Thanks,
> Simon.
I took the 101 exam in the early days, but never progressed beyond that
to a full certification.  The preparation for the exam did result in me
learning a few things I had not come across before.  I also recall that
you had to choose a Debian or Red Hat path (.deb/apt or .rpm).

I have not looked at this recently but I believe the RHCE qualification
has a limited life and needs to be refreshed regularly where as the LPI
certification is permanent.

--
Ron Wellsted
ron at wellsted.org.uk http://www.wellsted.org.uk