[Wolves] Fwd: [Linuxjobs] Linux Devops and Cloud Adminstrator - Birmingham

Alex Willmer alex at moreati.org.uk
Fri Oct 16 17:42:17 UTC 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Peter Chatterley <pc at talis.com>
Date: 16 October 2015 at 08:15
Subject: [Linuxjobs] Linux Devops and Cloud Adminstrator - Birmingham
To: linuxjobs at mailman.lug.org.uk

We are recruiting for a Linux Sys Admin to join our DevOps team, working in
our team in Birmingham in the Jewellery Quarter.
The role will be working with our DevOps champion supporting the
development team as we build our next generation of education SAAS software.

Talis is a fast growing SAAS enterprise software company that is changing
the way Universities globally engage with their students, and we are now
looking for an infrastructure engineer to work closely with our Development
team on ensuring that we have the best tools for the job and we automate as
much as possible.

Our infrastructure can range from big data tools such as Hadoop, Cloud
services such as AWS and tool sets like Puppet, Ansible and Chef, but its
really about that ability to work with the development team and build
streamlined processes that enable faster and better systems for everyone.

While we work on the cutting edge tech, we still have the legacy
infrastructure which needs to be managed and provisioned so you need to be
comfortable doing both.

With our current engineer taking on the role of lead for this area, it has
opened up the opportunity for someone to become the champion for the DevOps
culture in our business. While we would love someone who excels in this
area and brings all the skills, we are also open to growing someone from a
infrastructure background who loves the idea of DevOps culture and has some
experience with our tools.

We offer the ability to work remotely for the right candidate after a
period of time of working in the office full time to get to know us and our
systems.

The role will be part of a 24/7 rota team which will be compensated
accordingly.

Strong Sys admin skills in Linux

Good experience with scripting tools

Good experience of databases especially MongoDB or other NoSQL systems.

Proven experience of working with automation of infrastructure especially
in a 24/7 SaaS environment

Knowledge of automated tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible.

A problem solver, able to get to the root of a problem

Able to work closely with developers as part of the team

An educator, your role will be to help the development team make process
easier.

Although our offices are based in central Birmingham, all of our roles
allow a degree of home working depending on specific requirements as set by
your peers and reports.

We are very active in the Tech community and would love someone who feels
they would like to contribute as well.

In addition to a very competitive salary, we offer an exceptionally
generous contributory pension scheme, private medical insurance (after
induction period) and immediate cover on an exceptional Health Cash Plan,
including dental and optical cover.

   - 100% employee owned – every employee shares in the value of the
   company through our options scheme
   - Flexible working hours and location – although we are small we have
   people on three continents and at many locations across the UK.
   - Transparent reporting – every team communicates progress weekly to
   everybody – and you are free to ask questions or make suggestions.
   - Hack events every quarter – for the whole company not just dev – our
   latest projects included a custom-built arcade machine, internet-enabled
   milkbot built into our fridge and hacking the walls with custom graphics.
   - Beautiful Grade II listed offices in the heart of the Jewellery
   Quarter, Birmingham.

Learn more <http://careers.talis.com/> about what it is like to work at
Talis.

To apply for the role, please go to