[Wolves] CANCELED - LIST - Meeting at "The Royal Tiger" - Wednesfield

James R. Haigh james.r.haigh at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:08:38 UTC 2015

Oh c'mon!!! I've been without Internet access all day until I got on the
train, so I didn't see the cancellation notice. :-( Why's it been so
quite lately?
     Well it's nice that you said that it's cancelled in the subject
line but, meh, trust me to still miss that. :-] My brother accidentally
used 75% of my EE sharer contract (with rogue automatic updates over
WiFi hotspot apparently), and the contract finishes a week on Saturday
so I didn't want to renew it. I still use my old phone on Three PAYG as
a spare, but I didn't realise that it had nearly run out, which it did
yesterevening. So I bought a Three topup voucher this afternoon and
activated it on the train, so… :-/ then I checked my emails. :-]
     Btw., if anyone happens to know how to persuade BT Wholesale to
serve FTTC to SY1 1XA, please let me know!! Their availability checker
/did/ say 2014 December (if I remember correctly) then it delayed to
September, but now it doesn't even list any fibre product at all dammit!
 >:-( I've been waiting for FTTC before taking out a landline with A&A,
and now that I'm not going to renew our contract and just use PAYG, it
makes sense for me to now get a landline connection and only transfer
small amounts of data over cell networks (plural because I'm going to
get a phone with active dual-SIM, giving flexibility of choice between
tariffs). My family's house has a landline so I've suggested that my
mother and brother also switch to PAYG when I end the contract. Looking
at our vast monthly variation of usage, from some months only using less
than a tenth to others running out of the 20GB before the monthly reset,
and most months being less than half, it really highlights that fixed
contracts are a bad idea and that I'm only going to use PAYG from now on
because it's more flexible. Especially seeing as our contract is over
80£/mo, not counting additional charges – with no change in usage, PAYG
will work-out the same, if not slightly cheaper; with some reduction due
to landline use, it'll be a lot cheaper.
     So any suggestions about how to get fibre? I live in a town and can
see the Shrewsbury BT central office from my kitchen window about 50
metres away. (?!?!) C'mon BT!
     Anyway, once I'm on the train the ticket's used so I'm here now
(arrived at about 20:30) and I'm having dinner and a pint of cider.
     There's not currently a reason why I won't make it to next
fortnight's meeting, so hopefully see you there.

Best regards,
James.

--
Sent from Thunderbird on NixOS!