[Wolves] ubuntu on windows

Alan Pope alan at popey.com
Fri Apr 1 09:39:41 UTC 2016

Hi Pete,

On 31 March 2016 at 13:52, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:
> On 31/03/16 13:44, Stephen Parkes wrote:
>
>> You can't miss an opportunity to knock Canonical can you Pete :)
>

> You (As in Canonical-nee-Ubuntu) put yourself in the firing line you should
> expect to get shot. I make no apology for highlighting their skulduggery.
>
>> It's not any distro, it's Ubuntu as they are the ones who have worked with
>> MS to make this happen so they deserve their share of the credit.  Notice
>> it's Ubuntu developers up there not GNU or Linux dev's or people working
>> on
>> other distros.  They helped MS with the user side of the setup to get this
>> out.
>

> No it's not.

It is.

> It is not Ubuntu,

It is. It's bit-for-bit the same Ubuntu binaries that someone might
use on a cloud or local server. The same. In fact when a developer
enables this on their Windows 10 machine, it downloads a root
file-system tarball containing the Ubuntu binaries you know and love.

> that's a whopping fib.

It is not.

> Ubuntu is NOT running on Windows.

It is. The Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL for short) is the part
Microsoft developed (with Canonical) to make this happen.

> Ubuntu

s/Ubuntu/Canonical/

> may very well have helped implement Bash but that is NOT
> Ubuntu.

It is. It's bash, awk, sed, and all the other lovely command line
tools from the Ubuntu archive that I know you love to play with.

> Also are you seriously trying to say that Microsoft does not have
> the skill set to implement Bash on it's own? Sheesh.

It's not just bash. I think they used "Bash on Windows" as a way to
appeal to developers who are looking for a powerful command shell.
Developers who like to use OSX because it ships with a Linux-like
shell out of the box. This appeals to them. Explaining the story
further "actually - it's not just bash, it's the whole Ubuntu archive"
is the second 'big reveal' which they did in the keynote.

> As will I. FOSS CLI tools ARE more powerful than MS's DOS terminal, I'd love
> to see more FOSS on Windows tbh.

Good news! We did that for you.

You're welcome.

Love, Microsoft and Canonical. ♥