[Wolves] ubuntu on windows

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Apr 1 14:09:10 UTC 2016

On 1 April 2016 at 14:55, Peter Cannon <dick_turpin at archlinux.us> wrote:

> I'm not bothered that you glossed over "The tools that run on top" I
> suspect because it would have stuck in your throat to admit I had a point
> in terms of ownership. And I see we've totally dropped the Xamarin. I still
> find it mystifying that Microsoft needed any Linux/FOSS developer to get
> this working but hey, full marks to them for offering an opportunity.

because it doesn't matter where those tools come from now there is an
environment to run them on.  That's the announcement the environment they
run in not the fucking tools you plonker ;)  they used the examples of the
tools because that's what people use and want easier access to.

The environment was developed by MS and Cannonical if they want to call it
Ubuntu don't get so worried about it.  It's good marketing because Ubuntu
has great brand awareness.  Its far better they partner with a Linux
company of substantial clout than go it alone or buy up a smaller player
which would be completely dismissed by the people you're trying to rally
against this news.

> I'm totally stunned that people are not wiping their Ubuntu installs in
> disgust but hey principles are cheap when it comes to being desperate to be
> number one. :-D

because this isn't the 90's and MS are a completely different beast to back
then as are the companies who support Linux.  They have both moved together
(as have Apple and Google) and there isn't much difference between any of
them any more when it comes to what's open and what's closed and where the
billable hours start.  They might use different baits to get you hooked but
they are all after a share of your IT budget.

Lot's of Open Source stuff announced by MS recently.  The vast majority of
which is MIT licenced.  How is that not good.  Especially for an
unreconstructed capitalist like yourself MIT licencing should make you do a
happy wee in your pants at the opportunities ;)

sparkes