[Wolves] Newbie Networking Question if you don't mind

Charles Barnwell cgbarnwell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 08:58:08 UTC 2016

On 22/04/16 13:00, wolves-request at mailman.lug.org.uk wrote:
> Subject: [Wolves] Newbie Networking Question if you don't mind
>
> Hi guys,
>
> Long time no bother with question ;-)
>
> This may well be a question with a simple answer, or open a can of worms.
>
> I have a property that we want no down time for internet access, so
> currently have a Virgin internet
> box as well as a BT connection.
> If both services are up, VOIP phones are through one connection and
> computers all through the other, then if one fails we just
> shift a patch lead from one to the other to run all services through one
> router. DHCP done by each router.
>
> So, clearly to automate this I need a switch between both incoming
> routers and the two subnets.
> Guessing? This would immediatley screw up dhcp as only need one one a
> working network, but if that connection failed, would lose DHCP.
> Would the right Switch be used instead for the DHCP?
> We also have an incoming port forward to security cameras to watch
> remotely, would the right switch be programmable for this?
>
> Any answers or pointers to a simple tutorial?
>
> Thanks
>
> Wayne

Wayne,

We certainly don't mind, and I'm not sure this is a newbie question.

This is exactly what we do using PfSense
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PfSense

It is very powerful, but very complicated.  It was set up for us by
somebody who understands it well.  Would probably be quite a steep
learning curve, but this might help:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Installing_pfSense

Let us know how you get on.

Charles.