[Wolves] FOSS Talk Live

Stephen Parkes sparkes at westmids.biz
Fri Aug 19 13:05:11 UTC 2016

On 19 August 2016 at 12:30, Peter Cannon via Wolves <
wolves at mailman.lug.org.uk> wrote:

> On 19/08/16 12:03, Mike Hingley wrote:
> . Your wife should be our target audience NOT YOU!

Why?

Unless we're part of a cult or ponzi scheme recruiting new members should
be organic and not forced.

Get the advocates excited about something and then send them out into the
world happy and driven to evangelise about FOSS and associated ideas.

This whole getting people who might be interested into one place and
potentially boring them into submission is how they sell time shares not
ideas.

You might have seen the same old faces at OggCamp etc but those are the
people who are doing things daily to break down barriers.  Give them more
ideas to use and spread to the people they are connected with rather than
expect everyone to bring in a new cult member and do that thing with our
trouser legs we aren't meant to talk about.

If you widen the appeal you'll just get more of the same people from
different backgrounds.  That's a very good thing but I'm not sure it's the
thing you think it is.  :)

sparkes