[Wolves] OTT: switching to external vga monitor

James Turner james at turnersoft.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 00:48:17 UTC 2016

On 23/01/16 11:13, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint wrote:
> i have a compaq cq58 laptop with broken screen. How do i switch
> straight away to external monitor , the manuals say f4 but that only
> works when its get to windows i want to be to switch at bios to kill
> windows off and put linux mint mate on it
>
> thx for all helps

Many of the HP/Compaq models I've encountered will use the external
monitor automatically if the lid is closed when you switch them on (e.g.
by pressing a secondary power button on a docking station).

Does anything useful happen if you connect/power on the external
monitor, then hold down the laptop's lid sensor (so that it thinks the
lid is closed) whilst powering on?

Regards,

James