[Wolves] how do i get grub to switch to external monitor

Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint mark.croft.lug at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 14:44:36 UTC 2016

i did a quick search for bios , it been sometime i did any studying about bios.
Basic Input Output system its a layer of high level calls that the OS can use.
one them is int 10H ,
"INT 10h, INT 10H or INT 16 is shorthand for BIOS interrupt call
10hex, the 17th interrupt vector in an x86-based computer system. The
BIOS typically sets up a real mode interrupt handler at this vector
that provides video services. Such services include setting the video
mode, character and string output, and graphics primitives (reading
and writing pixels in graphics mode)."

i did do some low level programming when i was at Redditch College
doing a BTEC national diploma level 2 - 1991/1992. The good old days
of doing dos x86 coding was hardwork year 2.

i remember that each subsystem eg graphics card would have it own bios
that the main bios would call into action and install all its interupt
calls for the main system to use so in some ways the BIOS is a very
limit OS layer (i think its hardware layer something now on OS terms ,
correct?)

anyway it seems like the small function of swapping screens is missing
from the bios graphic chip set in this laptop i will look into a bit
further , i think he should give more details too back up his
case/claims about not being able to switch to external monitor in time
for BIOS setup screen etc.

hope that makes some sense