[Wolves] trying to rescue external hard drive(my sister bf 3tb drive)

Claire Robinson lug at sitesearcher.co.uk
Sun May 22 14:25:10 UTC 2016

On 22/05/16 12:58, Mark Croft Redditch Linux Mint via Wolves wrote:
> i am guessing having probs cos my laptop has not got usb 3 on it i am
> too poor to afford anything that fancy.
>
> external hard drive usb 3 - segate backup plus - pn 1k9apv-500 4tb.the
> light comes on and in link is the stuff from dmesg.
>

> http://pastebin.com/DEjck36H

I would say possibly not enough power is being supplied by your usb
port. Use the power adapter, if it has one or a powered usb hub.
Possibly just a dirty connection. Possibly it's been bounced or just
dead. Possibly a mix of gpt & non-gpt disks in the system causing
problems, but it does seem like a USB issue.

Does the disk itself seem to start/stop/start/stop?

You can watch dmesg output as you wiggle things.

$ watch "dmesg | tail -n 20"

Failing all else, perhaps use a live dvd/usb and plug it into their
computer instead.

Good luck!
Claire