[Wolves] Ubuntu reverting to GNOME

Richard Barker rtbarker2004 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 14:10:50 UTC 2017

<snip>

I await the shit storm of fanboi and naysayer responses (or just the normal
tumbleweeds). Sadly I'll be in someone elses office tomorrow so I won't be
able to pay attention.

Ad

</snip>

I didn't take to Unity at first, but have to say that over time I've found
it a very useable desktop. I've found the colour scheme and overall look to
be very good and I'm hoping that they carry that over as an Ubuntu theme
for Gnome. I'm also quietly hoping that someone forks Unity 7 and we can
have it as an option in other distros, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I'm not a believer in some kind of one size fits all interface for every
device, and think that Windows 8 onwards just feels like a schizophrenic
mess. So as you can imagine, I was a little skeptical about convergence but
thought it would be pretty cool to have been proved wrong.

Canonical did give me the distinct impression that they were jumping from
one idea to another and I didn't agree with building their own display
server as I felt it was duplicating effort and I felt that Wayland would
win out in the long term.

Still, as I clearly need to get to know Gnome this gives me an excuse to
play with Fedora. :-)

Rich.