[Wolves] Ubuntu reverting to GNOME

Adam Sweet adamsweet at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 10:50:07 UTC 2017

On 06/04/2017 15:10, Richard Barker via Wolves wrote:

> I didn't take to Unity at first, but have to say that over time I've found
> it a very useable desktop. I've found the colour scheme and overall look to
> be very good and I'm hoping that they carry that over as an Ubuntu theme
> for Gnome. I'm also quietly hoping that someone forks Unity 7 and we can
> have it as an option in other distros, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

As if by magic:

https://yunit.io/

Whether it survives and prospers is another question.

> Canonical did give me the distinct impression that they were jumping from
> one idea to another and I didn't agree with building their own display
> server as I felt it was duplicating effort and I felt that Wayland would
> win out in the long term.

Yeah, I felt that too.

> Still, as I clearly need to get to know Gnome this gives me an excuse to
> play with Fedora. :-)

Another +1 for Debian from me too. It's been a while since I used a
Debian desktop but I got on well. I tried Fedora more recently and found
it a bit short on polish. All that said, I'm looking forward to GNOME on
Ubuntu.

Ad