[Worcs] Finally, written up December meeting

Will Bickerstaff will.bickerstaff at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 20:07:59 UTC 2011

Wow, that took me some time. With Christmas mayhem finally over and things
starting to get back to something like normal, I've finally found some time
to sit and let you all know the goings on in the Cardinals hat on the 7th
December.

The venue chosen by dutchie was as described small and welcoming serving a
variety of unusual and tasty beer. Great to see some of the new faces
attending so welcome to Simon (sponex), Francis, Seb, and Rich who has won
himself the title of (startx). Dutchie apologised for missing the gathering
due to illness, so too did Dean who was studying for A-levels and narrf who
add more important things to do (something to do with a bunch of overpaid
fools kicking a bag of wind about up North somewhere)

The discussion was mostly about the newer members use and experiences with
Linux. A relatively quiet evening in terms of 'geekness' but I think
enjoyable by most. A short discussion about the offer from Excalibur,
although without dates for the fairs it's extremely difficult for anyone to
commit to attend. I'm expecting the first to be either Easter BH or May BH.
I agreed to approach two grey box/used hardware vendors in Evesham for the
loan of some demo hardware for an event, and there was some agreement to be
able to get something running on a stand if this proves unsuccessful, sponex
and myself both have older hardware available for use, it appears though
that both are running headless and displays are a bit of problem.

I think we should arrange the next meeting in good time to prepare properly
for the first Excalibur event this year unless anyone wants to meet sooner.
We'll need to probably do an all out geek thing and decide on how to present
the LUG, what to have running / available etc. Even if you won't be able to
attend you thoughts are welcome. Thanks to Dave for his previous comments re
infopoints from which I have already got some great information and put
together some draft materials which I'll post soon.