[Wylug-announce] ShefLUG - March Meeting - Owen le Blanc gives a Lecture about Free Software

Richard Ibbotson richard at sheflug.co.uk
Mon Feb 20 12:11:30 GMT 2006

           Sheffield Linux Users Group  (ShefLUG)

        Meetings are free and open to anyone to attend.

                Saturday 4th March 2006

Our next meeting will on the 4th of March.  Dr Owen le Blanc will give
a talk about how Free software has enabled Manchester Computing
Centre to do a lot of things that it wouldn't have been able to do
with proprietary software.  Owen is a brilliant public speaker. You
should try to get to this session if you can.  More about Owen at...

                http://www.manlug.mcc.ac.uk

After Owen has once again done his stuff Bob Holland who is a
chartered engineer and well known to most of us as an open source
advocate through his various events organised through Digital South
Yorkshire will talk about the wireless networking project that has
been built around the Dinnington Area Regeneration Trust.  Mostly
based around the Debian and Ubuntu distributions.  This should be a
fascinating insight into one man's experiences with wireless
technology which can be either very reliable or fraught with all
sorts of unpleasant bugs.

The venue for this meeting will be the Sheffield Hallam University.
Room 943 in the Owen Building (Level 9) City Campus is now booked for
the 4th March for the period of 13.00 until 17.00.  To get to
level 9 you have to walk in through the front door at SHU and find
the lift on level 5.  Take the lift to level 9.  The venue is just
across the road from Sheffield Midland station.  For info about the
venue have a look at...

      http://www.shu.ac.uk/services/marketing/visit/

     You should also keep an eye on our meetings page at...

           http://www.sheflug.co.uk/meeting.html

For information about buses telephone 01709 515151.  For train
information please call 0845 748 4950.  We hope that you can come
along to this event.  Keep checking in on this page until the 2nd of
March to make sure that you have the latest info.

At the end of the proceedings on the evening of the 4th of March at
about 17.00 we will most likely wander across the road to the East
Ocean Seafood Restaurant at Matilda Street in Sheffield for dinner.
You can get some Japanese, Cantonese or Thai food here.  They do some
excellent Bento boxes.

--
Richard
www.sheflug.co.uk